Turtlneck is the alias of norwegian producer Oskar Mikalsen. Packing original sound design on top of a background as a classical pianist, this is a producer to look out for in 2019!
‘Medullah’ does a good job of showcasing his talents, surprising the listener with a breakdown playing off guitars followed by one of his trademark gnarly bass drops. This song is definitely worth a listen (or several)!
Listen to ‘ Medulluh’ on Spotify!
Exclusive Interview with Turtlneck
- Tell us about that first track that put you on the map in the electronic scene, and the journey since.
The first track of mine which garnered a fair bit of attention was my soundcloud remix of Galantis’ “No Money”. At about 15k total plays, it’s not really a lot, but did put me in touch with other actors in the business, which has helped me in the long run
- Who would you love to collab with?
I would love to collaborate with Gucci Mane or Lil Wayne. If that under any circumstance happens throughout my career, I’ll die happy
- Tell us about your latest track?
My latest track, Medullah, is one of my favorites. It really brings something unique to the world of Bass House & House in general. Combining exotic guitars with gnarly basses is something I never expected from myself
- What are your Hobbies or Interests besides Music?
Well, music really is my life. I go to university and work out every day, but in the end it all accumulates to making me a better musician. That’s the intended purpose at least. Psychology is also somewhat of a hobby, but that’s just for fun
- What one track never gets old for you no matter how many times you listen to it?
Anything by Daft Punk. Even 20 years after their debut, they are still ahead of their time
- What have you got coming up in your event calendar this year that you are most excited about?
Any day I get to create new music. Be that rap, beats or electronic. I don’t have any live shows planned, but once I do I’ll be pretty excited about that, I guess
- Tell us about your absolute favourite venue or event that you’ve played at, and why it is so special to you?
Haven’t really played anything memorable tbh, haha
- How do you get a track started? Tell us a bit about your production process. How long does it take you to complete a track on average, do you ever get writer’s block and which vocalist has been your favourite to work with?
My Bass House songs are usually started by choosing a dope kick sample in any key between D# and G#, you know the keys with the hardest bass tones. I then create and scrap 5-10 sounds in Serum until I have something cool & unique. I have no idea how long it takes me to finish a song, because I work on so many simultaneously. But form start to release, minimum 3-4 months. I used to get bad writers block, but whenever I do I just start a new project and if the old one is good enough so that I remember it next month, I’ll start it up again
- What’s your spirit animal and why?
Idk, penguins are dope
- “What single night out has been the most memorable for you as a DJ and Producer and why?”
Again I have limited experience playing live. But seeing disclosure live with their crazy setup at Roskilde was inspirational
Follow Turtlneck on Social Media
Check out ‘Medullah’ on YouTube!