A producer with obsessive compulsive disorder can only mean one thing, it takes love and time for Konstantinos Karatamoglou aka Kostakis to perfect a record. However, let it be known that when it comes along it is something at the very least if not your taste, sonically dexterous.
Kostakis then started a new project, “Strange Loving” a three piece Tech House act comprising of himself, Ronald Rowley and Dakin Auret that quickly launched onto the scene and delivered some epic records with their debut remix on German powerhouse Katermukke getting a 5/5 from Pete Tong himself. Strange Loving continued some epic success with releases on Universal Records and Sony Music.
Exclusive Interview with Kostakis
- Whats the Best thing about what you do in the Music Industry?
Everything, haha – I just love making music and having the freedom to make whatever I like.
- What single night out has been the most memorable for you as DJ and a producer? And what is your favorite Event to play?
It would have to be the very first Solomun + 1 with Ame as his first guest at Pacha Ibiza. Its difficult to say but in this country it would have to be Modular in Cape Town.
- How do you get a track started? Tell us a bit about your production process. How long does it take you to complete a track on average, do you ever get writer’s block and who has been your favorite collab?
Everyday is writers block and every track feels like it never goes anywhere…. But then something just clicks… its the same thing every time. I will always start with a kick drum and messing around on a synth or one of my toys. It often starts with the Dave Smith and Pioneer collab synth the Toraiz AS-1, this little piece of gear really gets the ideas flowing quickly. I find the core of a track happens in the first 1 hours if nothing happens then its probably time to scrap it and work on something else. I also often find that pulling a sample from somewhere and writing around it possibly a vocal or something then removing it after…. This helps alot with getting the vibe going.
- What is your Spirit Animal?
A Leaping Lemur.
- Tell us whats in Store for Kostakis / Crazy White Boy / Strange Loving ?
Right know its all about Kostakis for me…. We have spent so many years on other projects I want to concentrate on myself for a while. Having said that Crazy White Boy single is on the cards for Ryan and I sometime later this year.