Exclusive Interview With Dutch DJ / Producer Duo – Zonderling
Photo by Faux – Frederiek Bosch Fotografie and
Patrick Laan Fotografie
Zonderling’s 2019 was one to remember- successfully pleased crowds across the world with releases on leading electronic music labels like Spinnin’, Armada, Hexagon and Heldeep Records. Not to mention Zonderling rocked stages from Europe to Asia, swinging through Africa, at some of the most prestigious clubs and festivals including Tomorrowland, Mysteryland, Electric Love, to name a few.
Having spent most of 2019 in their musical lair strategizing for an epic 2020, the Dutch duo Zonderling is ready to unleash the first release of this exciting new year in collaboration with German producer, NØ SIGNE, on a smashing new track ‘Clouds’
Listen to ‘Clouds’ on Spotify!
Hey guys! Thanks so much for taking the time to talk to us! We are HUGE fans!
- Tell us about that first track that put you guys on the map in the electronic scene and the journey since. How did you get started?
The first track was called “Sonderling” and is still one of the tracks many people request to hear in dj sets! After that we’ve done both club and more radio friendly tracks with “Tunnel Vision”standing out in the former and “Crazy” (with Lost Frequencies) in the latter. We really just started trying a bunch of different, less obvious sounds in mostly house format. We’re still doing that 🙂
- Tell us about your latest track ‘Clouds’ with NØ SIGNE
We came across a track by NØ SIGNE in a Don Diablo Instagram story and contacted him to let him know we liked it. He then sent us an unfinished idea to see if we were feeling that direction too and we ended up working on it until it became Clouds.
- What single night out has been the most memorable for you as DJ’s and producers?
That’s a hard one, we got to experience so much crazy things over the years already. From writing camps in Miami with big artists to playing in Mongolia, it’s too much to mention really. Hard to pick just one.
- Tell us something we wouldn’t normally find out about each of you.
Martijn: A lot of people call me Rudi
Jaap: I’m a little bit of a theme park nerd
- Give us the name of one track that never gets old for you no matter how many times you listen to it?
Martijn: Stephan Bodzin – Vendetta
Jaap: Gesaffelstein – Pursuit
- What tours / residencies / upcoming events do you guys have in the pipeline that we mustn’t miss out on?
The year is filling up nicely and we’ll be touring a lot again. Next month we’ll do our first show in India which is one we’re looking forward in particular. The crowds are supposed to be among the best in the world.
- Does your Dutch heritage have any influence on your EDM production style?
- How do you get a track started? Tell us a bit about your production process. How long does it take you to complete a track on average, do you ever get writer’s block and who has been your favourite co-lab?
For club tracks it’s usually a drumloop with a synth first, otherwise it’s usually built around a vocal idea. Most tracks will get to a demo stage pretty soon, in like a few hours. But then it can either take another day to finish it or sometimes we have to come back to it many times over the course of a year or so. Of course, writer’s block is a thing! But that’s why we try to do more than one particular subgenre, it’s less likely you get stuck. No favorite collaboration so far, they’ve all been good!
- Latest track / EP? What are you guys working on currently? Tell us more!
We’re working on a lot of new Zonderling originals and a few collabs here and there, but like always, we’re limited as to what we can say about that because the outcome is always uncertain for a long period of time. We suggest to just keep an eye out 😉
- Fan question – “The relationship between the audience and the DJ is crucial, and yet it seems to be a fragile one – how do you see the balance between giving the crowd what they want and treating them to something new?”
That’s the challenge and craft probably, everyone does it in their own way but we feel it’s important to have a balance between both. Although we do tend to lean more towards giving people something new. A Zonderling show is never about hits and bangers, more about a journey and new experiences, which sounds very cliché haha.
Zonderling & NØ SIGNE – ‘Clouds’ is OUT NOW! via STMPD RCRDS