EDM Producer, Artist, Songwriter and DJ NIK:11 has been coming on strong reaching new heights as her new track “KICKBACK” hit the Billboard Dance Chart in December 2019 and the song has been climbing up the Billboard Dance Chart since.
NIK:11 is also a two time award winning EDM Producer, Artist and Songwriter, winning the award for Best EDM Artist at the HMMA’s in 2018 & 2019.
- Hi NIK: 11 How are you doing ? Tell us about that first track that put you on the map in the electronic scene and the journey since. How did you get started?
The journey is long and hard but the passion I have for creating music brings me pure happiness. I think the best day of my life was winning my first Music Award for 6AM at the HMMA’s for Best EDM Artist, it gave me the confidence to keep creating and go after my dreams. I think the release 6AM in 2018 at least got me on the radar after winning the award.
- Tell us about your latest track ‘KICKBACK’
My latest track “KICKBACK” is truly my first love, I put so much love and hard work into “KICKBACK”. As an Indie Artist there is so much more work involved with each and every release, social media, marketing, branding, budget, management, etc. Releasing on my own label, Underground Angel Music has been a very rewarding challenge. I love creating, writing and releasing music as well as building my own style and brand.
- What single night out has been the most memorable for you as a DJ?
One of the most memorable experiences I’ve ever had with a crowd of fans was really intense, the crowd couldn’t control themselves and rushed the stage, hundreds of people climbed up to dance and hang out with me on stage. The love and energy I felt that night was truly amazing, a very touching experience. I write and play music not only for me but for fans so they can escape.. I love how passionate people are about music, that’s why I create and write to touch people’s lives. Music is universal and people can react to music so intensely that they just glow with happiness
- Tell us something we wouldn’t normally find out about you.
I’m extremely quiet and shy, I don’t do ANY drugs, but I love a great margarita and tequila shots 🙂
- Give us the name of one track that never gets old for you no matter how many times you listen to it?
That question is so hard for me to answer, I would rather tell you who my favorite DJ’s are and who influences me the most as a DJ. Blasterjaxx, Nicky Romero, Dimitri Vegas, Axwell, Afrojack and Aoki
- What tours / residencies / upcoming events do you have in the pipeline that we mustn’t miss out on?
I have so many events I’m working on right not but my main focus at the moment is pure production, collaborations and building my brand NIK:11.
- Does your American heritage have any influence on your EDM production style?
My American heritage has no influence on my production style. I produce and write whatever style I want, I create music from a passionate place. I don’t follow trends, I love the art of creation and this is why I started Underground Angel Music because I didn’t want to rely on anyone else to release my music, because you can’t. Don’t ever think anyone is going to do anything for you or invest in you when you don’t invest time and money into yourself and your brand.
- How do you get a track started? Tell us a bit about your production process. How long does it take you to complete a track on average, do you ever get writer’s block and who has been your favourite co-lab?
I can get inspiration from anywhere. The production process from the first sound created to the lyrics and mastering takes about 4 weeks but it depends on what’s going on in my life at the time. I do everything for my label such as marketing, promotions, social media, music video production, marketing, merchandising and everything else that goes along with releasing tracks. It’s nice to collaborate with others because sometimes you can get help with the marketing and promotional side of the music business but each collaboration is different.
- Latest track / EP? What are you guys working on currently? Tell us more!
I’m currently working on several tracks fun, bouncy, dance tracks, guaranteed to make you dance. I’m not sure which track to release next but I hope fans love each track I release as much as “KICKBACK”, I would love to hit the Billboard Dance Chart again.
- Fan question – “The relationship between the audience and the DJ is crucial, and yet it seems to be a fragile one – how do you see the balance between giving the crowd what they want and treating them to something new?”
My fan crowd is a unique crowd that LOVE to dance, sing and party all night. I LOVE them ALL because my energy spikes high and anything can happen, it’s never about the way you dress, what you look like or how rich you are, It’s about love, energy and acceptance. I can guarantee when fans come to see a NIK:11 show they will be on the dance floor all night long.
Follow NIK:11 on Social Media
Get you copy of ‘KICKBACK’ HERE